The Central Agricultural University has been setup on an act of Parliament, the Central Agricultural University Act, 1992 (No.40 of 1992). The one of the Act came into effect on 26th January, 1993 with the issue of notification by the Department of Agricultural Research and Education (DARE), Govt. of India. The complete University became functional after the joining first Vice-Chancellor on 13th September, 1993.
The jurisdiction of the Central Agricultural University extends to six North-Eastern Hill States that area -Arunachal Pradesh (A.P.), Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Sikkim and Tripura, with headquarters at Imphal in Manipur.
· College of Agriculture, Iroisemba (CA), Imphal, Manipur - 1979
· College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry (CVS&AH)Selesih, Aizawl, Mizoram - 1998
· College of Fisheries (CF), Lembucherra, Agartala, Tripura - 1998
· College of Horticulture and Forestry (CH&F) Pasighat, Arunachal Pradesh - 1999
· College of Home Science (CHS), Tura, West Garo Hills Meghalaya - 2004
· College of Agricultural Engineering and Post-Harvest Technology(CAE&PHT), Ranipool, Gangtok, Sikkim - 2006
· College of Postgraduate Studies (CPGS), BarapaniShillong, Meghalaya - 2006
The mission of the University is to be providing the focus in research and extension education in the field of agriculture and allied sectors. The University main aim is to create the economical cultivating frameworks for enhancing efficiency and benefit in agriculture and allied sectors and also prepare the farmers and extension functionaries for the effective dissemination of cutting edge with advanced agricultural technologiesin North-East India.The Central Agricultural University follows the semester system, with 10 Point grading scale.It has internal cum-external arrangement and systems of examination and assessment.The college has embraced model scholastic regulations and syllabi as proposed by the Indian gathering of Agricultural Research/Veterinary board of India with some minor changes to suit the provincial needs.
The Central Agricultural University acts as an important chain link which helps in converting agriculture and allied vocations into profitable enterprises and offering food and nutritional security for the people of North-East region. To understand the above mission, University set up 7 schools and 3 Krishi Vigyan Kendras (KVKs) in the 6 conditions of North-East India and offers the Undergraduate and Postgraduate Degree Programs in horticulture and partnered sciences.
The Central Agricultural University is located in imphal, Manipur which is easily reachable by bus or via by road.