Acharya N.G. Ranga Agricultural University was established on 12 th June, 1964 in Hyderabad by the first Vice-Chancellor, O-Pullo Reddy. Mainly, it was inaugurated by our Honorable Prime Minister of India, Shri Lal Bahadur Shastri. After wards, another one important milestones was inaugurated the building programme by the Smt.Indira Gandhi on 23rd June, 1966.
According to Andhra Pradesh Agricultural University Act, 1963, Colleges of Agriculture and Veterinary Science, Hyderabad (affiliated to Osmania University), Agricultural College, Bapatala (affiliated to Andhra University), Sri Venkateswara Agricultural College and Andhra Veterinary College, Tiruapti (affiliated to Sri Venkateswara University) were transferred to the new university in June 1964.
On 7th November, 1996 it was renamed as Acharya N.G. Ranga Agricultural University in the presence of Outstanding Parliamentarian Acharya N.G. Ranga, who was great kisan leader and freedom fighter which rendered the remarkable selfless service for the cause of farmers.
The significance of the use of Science and Technology for Agricultural improvement was acknowledged as ahead of schedule as in the first place of this century. Among the few commissions designated for proposing strides to streamline agribusiness improvement, the Royal Commission (1926) underlined the requirement for an in number exploration base for farming advancement. Consequently, the proposals of the Radhakrishnan Commission (1949) on University Education has led to the foundation of Rural Universities for the general advancement of agribusiness and rustic life in the nation. Later, the Government of India constituted the First Joint Indo-American Team (1955) that mulled over the status and future needs of rural instruction in the nation.
Commission established the framework for all the resulting improvements concerning rural instruction and complete agricultural education in India. Nonetheless, for need of particular proposals, the Government of India designated the Second Joint Indo-American Team (1960) headed by Dr. M. S. Randhawa, the then Vice-President of Indian Council of Agricultural Research. The group presented its report in 1960, which suggested particularly the foundation of Farm Universities and spelt out the fundamental goals of these Universities as.
· Inclusion of Agriculture
· Veterinary/ Animal Husbandry and Home Science
· Integration of Teaching, Research and Extension
Later, the report of the Second National Education Commission (1964-66), headed by Dr. D.S. Kothari, Chairman of the University Grants Commission focused on the requirement for setting up no less than one Agricultural University in each Indian State. Accordingly, the Andhra Pradesh Agricultural University (APAU) was firstly built up on June 12, 1964 at Hyderabad. Shri. O. Pulla Reddi, I.C.S. (Resigned) was the first Vice-Chancellor of the University.
As per procurements of the Andhra Pradesh Agricultural University Act, 1963, a portion of the Colleges of Agriculture and Veterinary Science were exchanged from the Universities to which they had been subsidiary to the APAU was established on June, 1964. These are: Colleges of Agriculture and Veterinary Science, Hyderabad (built up in 1961, it is completely associated with Osmania University), Agricultural College, Bapatala (set up in 1945, subsidiary to the Andhra University), Sri Venkateswara Agricultural College, Tirupati (set up in 1961, affiliated to the Sri Venkateswara University) and Andhra Veterinary College, Tirupati (set up in 1961, likewise partnered to Sri Venkateswara University). Likewise, 41 Agricultural Research Stations, working under the Department of Agriculture and four Research Stations of the creature Husbandry Department were exchanged to the University in July 1966 and May 1967, individually.
Infrastructure, Facilities and Activities
The Acharya N. G. Ranga Agricultural University is considered as the biggest in India with a framework of 15 Colleges (8 in Agriculture, 3 in Agricultural Engineering, 2 in Food Science & Technology and 2 in Home Science) 46 Research stations appropriated in 9 Agro-climatic zones of the State, 54 Agricultural Polytechnics (26 University Polytechnics (21 in Diploma in Agriculture, 2 in Diploma in Seed Technology and 3 in Diploma in Agricultural Engineering) and 28 private polytechnics (17 in Diploma in Agriculture, 3 in Diploma in Seed Technology and 8 in Diploma in Agricultural Engineering)) , 22 District Agricultural Advisory and Transfer of Technology Centers (DAATTCs), 16 Krishi Vigyan Kendras (Farmer Science Center), one Agricultural Technology and Information Center (ATIC) and Electronic Media Wing separated from one Extension Education Institute (EEI) and Agricultural Information and Communication Center ( AI&CC). In this manner, it is a special multi grounds University in the nation having its units working everywhere throughout the State with the two Faculties of Agriculture and Home Science indicating unbelievable execution of commendable nature.Auditorium is also available which is specially used for meetings, seminars, international conferences.
There are four hostels under the college campus, 3 for boys and 1 for girls; here you can find the boarding and lodging facility for the students of the College. Complete Hostels are well-furnished each room and the important furniture provided according to students comfortness.Also, All the hostels are well furnished with reading room, tv room, big dining hall. One of the most important features has been provided to supply the hot water by using the Solar Water Heating systems. Apart from this, steam cooking units were additionally given to every one of the Hostels to cooking of good quality sustenance.
The central library building with a floor covering region of 4645 sq. mts., can oblige more than 2 lakhs books and sitting limit of around 200 per users. Complete Separate library structures/extensive and utilitarian lobbies are accessible at other branch libraries. Every one of the libraries is very much outfitted with a friendly climate for in-house utilization of books and periodicals. Cd ROM offices are accessible in all major grounds with a perspective to give access to world rural writing.
The Computer Center at Rajendranagar, as a focal registering office of the University, was set up in 1982.The Centre is fully equipped and provided with latest computers that configured with various kinds of Operating system. Operating frameworks pander to everything registering needs of the University. Recently, one other important subject has introduced, which is computer networking that helps to gain access and latest experimental advances and related data over the globe. All bureaus of the universities were given with PCs to use by the staff and understudies.
There are various Literary events which includes the Elocution, Essay writing, Debate, Quiz etc. and various cultural activities which are as – Play Act, Group dance, Solo Competitions, NCC Camps and much more.