Planting for Turmeric Farming Cultivation
Mother rhizomes are used for planting and well developed healthy and disease free rhizomes are to be selected. Small pits are made with a hand hoe in the beds in rows with spacing of 25 cm x 30 cm and covered with soil or dry powdered cattle manure. The optimum spacing in furrows and ridges is between 45-60 cm between the rows and 25 cm between the plants. A seed rate of 2,500 kg of rhizomes is required for planting one hectare of turmeric.
Plantation Time for Turmeric Farming
Planting season varies with the area of cultivation and variety. Planting is done during May-June or July- August in different tracts. Turmeric can be rotated with crops such as Finger millet, Rice and Sugarcane. It is rarely cultivated in pure stand, but is usually grown mixed with crops like Castor, Maize, and Finger millet, Onions, Brinjal and Tomato.
Suitable Turmeric Cultivation Climate:
हल्दी की खेती के लिए जलवायु हालत
हल्दी एक उष्णकटिबंधीय जड़ी बूटी है और उष्णकटिबंधीय और उपोष्णकटिबंधीय दोनों में उगाया जाता है। हल्दी आर्द्र जलवायु की आवश्यकता होती है।
1. Tropical crop, requiring warm and humid climate.
2. Temperature range-246C to 28°C.
3. Growth ceases when, temperature falls below 20°C, and hence early-planted turmeric gives good yield.
1. Seed of turmeric consists of rhizomes.
2. Both mother and finger rhizomes are used.
3. The fingers are cut into pieces, each 4-5 cm long with 1-2 buds. Mother rhizomes are planted as such or split into two, each having one sound bud.
4. Mother rhizomes are preferred since they give 50% more yields than the finger rhizome and also give good growth.
5. Large sized, plumy and healthy mother rhizomes at least 100 g in weight should be used.
1. Varies according to type of planting material, spacing and weight of rhizomes.
2. Mother rhizomes: 2000-2500 kg/ha.
3. Finger rhizomes: 1500-2000 kg/ha.
4. For Maharashtra: 2250 kg/ha.
5. As an intercrop in fruit garden: 400 - 500 kg/ha.
Rhizomes are treated with 50 Lindane powder and Bavistine (2 g/1) by dipping for 15-20 minutes for prevention of diseases and rhizomes fly during early period.
Method of Planting:
On Flat Beds: (25 x 2.5 cm) in each direction.
On ridges and furrows: 40-60 x 25 cm.
Rhizomes are planted at l/3rd height of ridge on broad ridge.
1. First irrigation sis given before planting.
2. Second is given just after planting.
3. Subsequent irrigations are given at 7-10 days interval depending on soil.
4. A total of 20-25 irrigations are given, during the life period of the crop.
250-300 q/ha for fresh rhizomes.
In Maharashtra the average yield is 225 g/ha.
Cured Produce: 20-25 % of fresh rhizome by weight