The historical backdrop of Agricultural instruction in Kerala can be followed back to the year 1896 when a plan was advanced in the recent Travancore State to prepare a couple of young fellows in logical agribusiness at the Demonstration Farm, Karamana, Thiruvananthapuram, shortly, the Cropping Systems Research Center under Kerala Agricultural University. Kerala Agricultural University is one of the famous university, that came into existence in the Act 33 of 1971 of the Kerala State Legislature on February 24th 1971, that entitled as 'The Agricultural University Act, 1971'.
The University got to be operational from February first 1972 when the then existing 2 instructive and 21 research foundations which is regulated by the Departments of Agriculture and Animal Husbandry of the Government of Kerala, were brought under one umbrella for encouraging the maintainable and quickened improvement of horticulture in the State. It is an autonomous University which is treats as funded institution and the Kerala Governor is a chancellor and Minister for Agriculture is the Pro-chancellor.
The University fulfills the obligation and commitments which spread over 36 campuses, through the length and broadness of the state, comprising of 10 constituent schools, 6 Regional Agricultural Research Stations, 26 Research Stations, 3 Centers of Advanced Studies, the Central Training Institute, the Communication Center, the KAU Press, seven Krishi Vigyan Kendras, the Central Library and different other examination programs. The University provides the graduate and post-graduate projects at Masters and also PHD levels, in every one of the orders and specialties on different subjects identified with agriculture.
KAU is located at the Vellanikkara in the Thrissur District on the National Highway (NH47) which is approx 13 km from the Thrissur Railway Station and 50 km from the International Airport, Kochi. The headquarters of KAU is easily accessible by road, rail, air and any other mode of transport.
· College of Agriculture - Vellayani P.O., Thiruvananthapuram. Ph : 2381002 , 2381915.
· College of Horticulture - KAU P.O., Thrissur. Ph : 2370790, 2370822.
· College of Agriculture - Padannakkad P.O., Kasaragod. Ph : 2280616, 2282699.
· College of Forestry - KAU P.O., Thrissur. Ph: 2370050.
· College of Co-Operation, Banking & Management - KAU. P.O., Thrissur. Ph : 2370367.
· College of Veterinary & Animal Sciences - Mannuthy P.O., Thrissur. Ph : 2370451, 2370344.
· College of Veterinary & Animal Sciences - Pookot, Lakkidi P.O., Wayanad. Ph : 256340.
· College of Fisheries - Panangad - P.O., Ernakulam. Ph : 2700337, 2700598.
· Kelappaji College of Agrl. Engineering & Technology - Tavanur, Malappuram. Ph : 2686009, 2686214.
· College of Dairy Science & Technology - Idukki (Present Address : College of Dairy Science & Technology, Mannuthy P.O., Thrissur- 680651). Ph : 2372861.
There are various facilities provided by the KAU which related to Computer facility, central Auditorium, Journal, library, research stations and many more.
KAU is main aim is to provide the Excellence in Research, Agricultural Education and Extension for Sustainable Agricultural Development and Livelihood security of cultivating group.